A Miraculous Shortcut
The most pleasurable and artistic part of quilt making is piecing the quilt top – the patchwork. The assembly – sandwiching wadding between the patchwork top and a backing fabric and stitching all three layers together – can be challenging, especially for a beginner. Why not let us do it for you?
If you would like to have your lovingly stitched patchwork quilt top quilted professionally on a long arm precision machine, this option is available. The Gammill machine can quilt on any size of patchwork however a minimum fee applies ($60 - $80). The machine creates a repetitive pattern of your choice over the entire quilt top from left to right interlocking the rows as closely as possible for best results. There are hundreds of stitching designs to choose. If you come to one of our three stores offering the service, we can show you stitched samples of just some of the designs available.
For more information, call one of these Hobbysew stores:
Figtree (Wollongong) (02)4229 8188
Echuca (Victoria) (03)5482 6276
Kings Park (Western Sydney) (02)9621 4000
Preparing your quilt for Gammilling
- Trim all loose threads
- Do not baste or pin quilt together
- Press quilt top and check for twisted seams
- Clearly label the top and bottom edges of the quilt
- Prepare backing fabric by removing selvedges and cut on the straight grain of the fabric. Make sure fabrics are square before joining or there’s a possibility of pleats occurring.
- Join as necessary to create a backing 10 – 15cm (or 4 – 6 inches) larger overall than the quilt top. Press seams open.
- For a fee of $25.00 the team at Hobbysew can do this for you.
- Cut wadding to same size as backing fabric (10 – 15cm or 4 – 6 inches larger overall than the quilt top).
- If needed Hobbysew can supply any type of batting you prefer: Cosy Cotton Batting, Bamboo Batting, Rayon Fire Resistant Batting or Premium Polyester Batting. Please ask our staff for more details.
How much will it cost?
The following prices are based on you supplying the wadding and are inclusive of GST.
Measure your quilt top to find its length and width in inches. Please do not rely on your pattern measurements as every machine and every quilter will create something slightly different no matter how accurately you sew! Multiply the length by the width (inches) and follow the formula below substituting your own dimensions and the quoted pricing.
80in x 90in = 7200 square in
7200 sq in divided by 144 sq in = 50 sq ft
50 sq ft x $3.50 = $175.00
Please note: A minimum fee for machine quilting applies: $60.00 ($80 at Echuca).